Observations, Personal experiences and interesting links from Dragons runner Russ Hartley

Saturday 2 May 2009

Socks, shoes and mp3's

Just done a 14 mile marathon pace run on a hilly course and feel pretty good about it

One long run to go - 22 miles next week then the taper and now looking forwards to Edinburgh

Why do running shoe manufacturers change a shoe? You get used to them and they bugger around with them in really subtle ways, like making them a little bit thinner at the toes, etc

Bought Asics Cumulus 10's to train in - I had used Asics Cumulus 9's to run Amsterdam 2 years ago (time 4 hrs 1 minute - damn the 1 minute!!!) and so thought they were a safe bet. Not so - they caused that irritating 3rd toe nerve rub problem that I had never had before.

So have gone back to Mizuno Wave Riders which are really good along with the Thorlo socks which I can really recommend

MP3 players - some hate them and some hate other people wearing them. It helps me to get into a groove, but I know they are antisocial and can be dangerous in traffic - just got to be more aware I guess. Just good to focus on when on a 2/3/4 hour run.

No one else is adding to the coaches blog, so I think I will turn it into my blog and be a bit more outspoken - hopefully without being annoying!

Let me know if you are following it

Russ

2 comments:

  1. Well done Russ. I know what you mean about running shoes. After 3 years running and several different pairs, I think I've finally found a running shoe that suite me. Mine are Saucony ProGrid Guide. You watch, they'll change 'em next year!

    I'm a convert to mp3 players now, having bought one to try during my long runs, I love it. It keeps your mind distracted when you need it to be, and get's you motivated and 'in the groove' too. My longest run tomorrow...22 miler. Keep up the hard work, and let's all get to the finish line in one piece.

    Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really run with an MP3 player I'll have to give it a go - hopefully I won't get run over! Good to read what you've been up to on your blog - interesting cross training session. Keep on blogging!

    Richard B

    ReplyDelete

Followers