Observations, Personal experiences and interesting links from Dragons runner Russ Hartley

Saturday 3 October 2009

Standing down as coach / head coach

A decision not taken lightly, but here goes as to an explanation...

Filling the shoes of someone like John Radigan was never going to be an easy job for anyone in the club. Bev did a good job when he left, but then her own personal pressures forced her to hand over to me.

At the time this happened, I was seriously considering whether or not to continue as a coach. I felt that the social running structure at the club did not really "fit" with the notion of traditional coaching - where a group turn up for a regular session and have a structured workout.

But I tried! I published a marathon training program and ran some sessions on Saturdays involving hill and fartlek training, but did not seem to inspire people to join me.

I would really like to see a juniors section at the club, and if this happens, you may see me back coaching them.

Thanks to anyone who gave me support and encouragement, and keep on running!

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers